Self care has become all the rage now. It’s finally “in” to start taking care of yourself mentally. So what happens when you’re sick or injured?.
I know myself personally when I’m sick I pretty much just do what I have to. Now with my broken ankle it’s a little different. The self care I’m giving myself is different because my needs are different.
For example, I’m not going to have a bath with a broken ankle. That would be dumb, I would not be able to get in or out of the tub, plus I can’t get my cast wet.
What makes self care different when you’re sick/injured?
Well I’m glad you asked. For one thing, your needs are different. Your mind and body will have different needs than if you were well, sickness and injuries put added stress on the body.
Like the example I posted up above. I can’t take the bath approach to self care because my ankle is non weight baring. Just like if you had pneumonia, you wouldn’t or shall I say shouldn’t go out for a run.
- Declutter: 6 things to declutter to live happier
- 8 productive ways to spend time alone
- selfcare while in quarantine
So what can you do?
Here is a list of self care ideas you can practice while sick/injured.
- Rest when you need to. Like I said, in this case your needs are different. Your body needs rest to help it heal. Be kind to yourself, if you’re tired, take a break.
- Call or text family or friends. When you aren’t able to get out and about it becomes easy to feel isolated. It’s not good for your physical, emotional or mental health. Don’t be afraid to reach out to people.
- Listen to some of your favorite music. Music has been shown to have a positive impact on people. It’s hard to be upset when you’re busy jamming to your favorite beat.
- Drink plenty of water. Yes, I probably sound like your parents right now. Water helps rid your body of toxins plus you don’t want to be dehydrated. That would just cause more issues. Another benefit to drinking water is it helps prevent muscle cramping. If you’re on 1 foot and crutches the last thing you want is a leg cramp.
- Move around. It doesn’t have to be a lot of movement. It could just be your trips between the bathroom and your bed. Moving around whatever that may look like for you (for me it’s crutches and 1 foot that I hop with) helps with blood flow and oxygen. Plus like I’ve said previously on this blog, blood clots are not cute, you don’t want them.
- Put on clean clothes. This one may sound like a no brainer but when you just don’t feel well the last thing you want to do is use your remaining energy on getting dressed. I get it, but you don’t want to sit around in clothes filled with sweat, or other bodily stuffs.
What about eating?
Yes! You have to eat, your body needs the energy to help heal itself. Even if all you can get down is a cup of chicken soup, whatever works. Some suggestions if you want to consume something rich in water, try; watermelon, celery, herbal tea, cucumber, tomatoes, oranges, apples, spinach, blueberries or any melon.
Whatever you decide to do while you are sick or injured remember to make it kind. This is your time to rest and heal, be kind to yourself. Think about your needs and go from there.
* I want to hear from YOU*
What would be helpful for you to read about? Do you need help with mental health? Would more self care posts be helpful? Do you want to read more about body positivity and acceptance?
Let me know down in the comments below
Till next time